Do not purchase anything until you see the visuals as the items need explanations. And ensure you have purchased your tools and equipment
In Australia I buy my tools from Australian Jewellers Supplies. I buy some equipment and hardware from Bunnings and Mitre 10
Recommended Reference Books:
- Jewellery Concepts and Technology by Oppi Untracht
- The Jeweller’s Bench Reference by Harold O’Connor
- Product Catalogue 2019 Australian Jewellers Supplies
For Lesson One you will need the following:
- Sterling Silver .925 Sheet or plate metal: 1mm thickness: 70mm x 30mm. This is enough to make 3-4 rings eventually.
- Hard, Medium and Easy S/Silver Solder (.5mm wire is ideal)
- Printer grade paper and pen
- Steel Ruler and Scriber
- Sturdy Bench and wooden bench Peg
- Fixed Sawframe and Blades
- No 1 Vallorbe Round Back
- Medium Grade Sandpaper on a flat stick.
- 6” flat to half round medium grade file.
- Needle files (Equalling or Pillar file for this lesson)
- To anneal and solder you need:
- Fireproof table or bench
- LP (or Propane Gas) bottle and gas Burner
- Magnesium Block
- Solder Tweezers and Side cutters
- Pickle Salts or (Safe Pickle) and glass or ceramic bowl to keep it warm
- Copper tongs
- Hog or goat hair paint brush
- To form the ring:
- Round Ring Mandrel
- Rawhide hammer.
- Flat to Half Round Ring Pliers.
- To polish the ring:
- Tripoli and Poly ‘Rouge’ compounds
- Bench Grinder such as Ryobi with tapered Spindles
- 2 x Calico Polishing Mops
- Mini Tool such as Dremel or Roc and felt mops
- Biodegradable soap and soft hair paintbrush
For Lesson Two you will need the following:
- 10 grams 1mm round .925 wire.
- Mini Round Mandrel 3mm to 10mm
- 25cm long pieces of round dowel from 5mm to 12mm in diameter. Poly pipe or metal is suitable.
- We will start with jump rings 8mm and you can vary every second one with larger or smaller links.
- Roll of 20mm wide masking tape. Not office tape. Buy from Auto shop.
- Flat pliers, round pliers
- Steel binding wire. .5mm to .8mm
- Bench Vice
- Full half round .925 wire 3mm x 1.5mm for medium size cuff approx. 300mm long (280mm small – 310mm large)
- Round Bangle Mandrel